Keep your heart in top shape with these 12 healthy ideas!
1. To protect against heart disease, increase your intake of omega-3 – sardines, mackerel and flaxseed. Omega-3 provide benefits without side effects.
2. High levels of homocysteine (an amino acid) in the blood have been linked to increased risk of premature coronary heart disease and stroke, even among people who have normal cholesterol levels. The extra folic acid, vitamins B6 and B12 can lower elevated homocysteine levels in most patients.
3. The American Heart Association recommends limiting the daily consumption of salt to one teaspoon or 2.4 g to prevent the increase in blood pressure. Cut the salt without losing flavor by choosing products with reduced salt, such as reduced sodium soy sauce.
4. Gum problems increase the risk of atherosclerosis. Why that? Because oral bacteria enter the bloodstream and travel throughout the body. The immune system would then identify as intruders and trigger a local inflammation in the arteries, the walls get thickened and inflate. Fight gum disease by brushing your teeth, flossing and taking 500 mg to 1 g of alfalfa in two daily doses.
5. The higher your cholesterol, the greater the risk of heart attack. Add garlic to mashed potatoes, stir-fries and salads or take 400 to 600 mg of garlic supplement once or twice a day to lower your cholesterol. Garlic also helps lower blood cholesterol.
6. The powder cayenne contains capsaicin, which improves blood circulation while reducing cholesterol. Pour a cup of boiling water to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, mix it and drink, which will warm your hands, feet and heart. Tip: replace the salt shaker on your table by a shaker filled with cayenne powder.
7. Onions have an action similar to that of garlic. They lower cholesterol and are recommended for prevention against atherosclerosis. Eat 50 g uncooked fresh onions every day, otherwise the juice or onion oil. If you do not like the taste, take it in capsule form.
8. The leaves and flowers of the hawthorn promote irrigation and fight heart rhythm disorders. Hawthorn is also recommended in cases of functional heart pain and mild arrhythmias. The long-term use is not harmful. Eat it as tea, capsules, drops or tablets. Tip: pour 150 ml boiling water over one teaspoon of leaves and flowers of chopped hawthorn, let macerator runs for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink a minimum of 3 or 4 cups per day for a minimum period of six weeks to see results.
9. The essential oil of ylang-ylang (means “flower of flowers”) soothe heartbeat and breathing too fast. It lowers blood pressure. Use it in a diffuser or with a massage by mixing 5 drops of essential oil in a teaspoon of sesame oil. Against hypertension: 2 drops of ylang-ylang, 3 drops of chamomile and 5 drops of lavender.
10. The essential oil of neroli (orange blossom) alleviates several problems including heart palpitations. Add 3 to 5 drops of this oil to a teaspoon of sweet almond oil and massage the area of your heart.
11. Arnica oil mixed with essential oils of lavender, marjoram and petit grain. Five or six drops of pure arnica oil, with 5 or 6 drops of each of the other oils. Massage the heart area, chest and left arm.
12. The rose flower just not has her beauty to offer, it can also be very useful. Among others is to reduce stress, a factor recognized as a risk of heart attack or stroke. Some rose water will help to eliminate bad mood, to calm a stressful situation and reduce tension. Bonus fact: it’s great for your skin as well.